Thursday, August 25, 2011

Remember Your Baptism (and the Communion Bread)




Greetings Dear Ones!

We are well into week two of my role as Water's Edge Worship Coordinator and so far, so good! Thank you for making me feel so welcome. I felt very much "at home" last Sunday, despite the fact that it was 8:55 a.m. before I remembered that I am supposed to bring the communion bread!

This Sunday we will be participating in a very special ceremony that is a perfect fit for the shores of the Water's Edge: baptism. Rev. Molly will baptise Becky Henselmeier's youngest... and we, as believers and friends, will have the great honor of standing witness for this beautiful, new spirit.

This is also an opportunity for each one of us, as a child of God, to remember our own baptism and to be grateful. During communion, you are invited to renew your baptism with us at the front altar as well.

I was baptised in the Methodist Church in Tuskegee, Alabama... where my mom's family lived. The dress I wore is pictured here, on my niece, Grace Mae. Gracie, her daddy Kyle, and my cousins Jamie, Robin, Riley, Judson and I were all baptised in this dress! My mom bought it in Wales, more than 50 years ago, when she was teaching overseas on American Air Force bases. She also had the good sense to get several vials of holy water, from the River Jordan, while traveling through Israel. Several of the children in our family were baptised with that water. Coincidentally -- my brother was baptised by Rev. Bob Fehlman (Our Rev. Bob!) when he was senior pastor at Riviera United Methodist, in Redondo Beach, where I grew up.

Do you remember your baptism?

I'll bet most of us were too young. But I surely do remember the baptism of the little baby girl in that picture above! My brother and his sweet wife, Jennifer, asked me to be Gracie's godmother. I am so honored to have that role and it thrilled me to NO END when, upon being sprinkled with water and not liking it, she reached out for her Auntie Kim! Holding that baby doll in my arms is one of the greatest gifts of my life. Her hugs are the best! And my prayers for her well-being are never-ending. I take very seriously my role as a guide in her faith journey.

So, my friends, as you cruise through the remainder of this week, take a moment to recall the baptisms in your life, and be thankful. Together we will celebrate all every single one on Sunday...

Kim

PS- No worries on the communion bread! I already bought it this week!

No comments: