Wednesday, August 30, 2006

why did we let nike get that copyright?

Just do it.

Not that I want to get caught in the trap of thinking that I have to achieve lots to be a good Christian; I just don't want to think I've ever quite gotten there. Or--the horror!--that I can just sit back and "be" a Christian.

James 1:22-24 is clearer: "But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves. For if any are hearers of the word and not doers, they are like those who look at themselves in a mirror; for they look at themselves and, on going away, immediately forget what they were like."

We've got to act out our faith. Do things differently because of it. Continue to be a part of the world--maybe invite the world to do things differently because of our faith...

And, this week, the words of Psalm 72 are echoing around in my head. (Maybe it's 'cause I'm working on a video for worship...) They remind me, again and again, that God isn't about the fancy sitting-back, but about the work of lifting-up of those who have fallen, about caring for the poor, about comforting those who are in pain.

James says that this is pure religion. This, and keeping "oneself unstained by the world."

"Stained" can be such a loaded word. I wonder what James meant. What do you think it is that "stains" us? Cynicism? Hopelessness? Materialism?

No comments: