Tuesday, August 15, 2006

real food

I think about eating a lot. Maybe it's because food can be so good...

This week, Jesus keeps talking about food, inviting us to "eat" of him: "For my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink."

I guess it makes me glad that I get to read this knowing about our sacrament of Holy Communion--"eating" and "drinking" Jesus' flesh and blood sounds a lot more, well, beautiful when it's in the form of Communion.

I wonder how I would hear this invitation, if I didn't treasure Holy Communion. These words are jarring. Scary. Bizarre. Almost vampirical. (Is that a word?) Eating flesh, drinking blood...

From another view, though, they remind us again that our God is about the work of sustaining us--nourishing us. Throughout our biblical tradition, God is providing food and drink for the journey of life. Whether it was mysteriously providing this nourishment on Moses' journey through the wilderness, or in a prophetic vision of the ideal world where everyone enjoys the fruits of their labor, God is manifest in food and drink.

Jesus is no less.

True God--in all the mystery "God" entails, and also real sustenance for our lives.

Check it out: John 6:51-58. And while you're at it, look at Ephesians 5:15-20 for some more advice on what to "feed" ourselves with...

No comments: