Wednesday, September 27, 2006

christian unity? (or, what if they do it without us!)

Our scripture for Sunday is from Mark 9:38-50. It starts with the disciples sounding (I think) a lot like kids who want to have exclusive control of Jesus' brand of coolness.

"Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us..." they say.

I feel a bit that way sometimes. I think my way to God is pretty good, and that others should follow it.

Or, on worse days, I think that I've worked hard to get to this place, and other people should have to go through the same stuff. They should FOLLOW me. (I had a college instructor like that once--it felt like she had suffered to get her PhD, and thought that we should suffer, too...)

Jesus is more expansive. He says that if folks aren't actively against us, they're as good as for us.

On our team. (And they may not have to follow US to get to God!)

It's been a while since I felt like I was really "on the same team" as all other Christians.

I wonder what that would look like today?

No comments: